?

Log in

Workshop Notes
A ruffled mind makes a restless pillow
1877 corset XI 
26th of April of 2008, 19:18
1877 corset

Crappy Prym setter...

Today I've been setting grommets (the most annoying part, especially since I don't have an awl...) because I wanted to try the corset before finishing to see if I have to make adjustments. I do..



I set the busk too low, I think. The back digs in a bit, and the front bulges out too much, so the pattern should be modified here. The breast is a little bit tight. For this corset I think I'll just take it in a little. It is a bit too long when I sit, so I will have to cut it at bit at the front...
It still gives the right shape, so it will do for undergarment. But I want to repeat it, because I have learnt a lot of things from this one, and I think I can make it a lot better. I am thinking a double layer, since at least this coutil is quite thin (and I washed it). But I don't know if the wrinkles are due to that, or due that I didn't cut with them on grain to the waist, or any other reason.


Here I am pulling it in a bit.


There is supposed to be a hook and eye there at the top. And the edges are uneven...




I didn't set the top three grommets since they will go over the lace.
And I think I made the back a little too high, seems a bit out of proportion.


Yesterday I did a few things differently on the second half of the corset. I didn't zig-zag the edges of the seam allowances to reduce bulk. Where there where two layers of seam allowances that had to be graded, I cut the underneath layer shorter than the top, so that they don't interfere when inserting the bones.


Right now, I think I am a bit tired of this sewing project. It is surprising for how many days it mantained me engaged, though. I wanted to finish it this weekend, but I think I will let it rest for a while and work in another (non sewing) project. But I am not allowed to work in another sewing project until I finish this one! I have decided (it was about time, really) that I won't start any new projects until I finish a few ones, because I have dozens of them started... I am a mess.

I feel a bit worse of my sickness today, so I think I am gonna rest for the rest of the day (apart from cleaning up my mess and trying to cut down a little on the huge pile of ironing)
Comments 
26th of April of 2008, 20:10 (UTC)
The problem seems to be where the curvier parts are, those are always more problematic. The upper presser tension is quite low. It may be so many things, I don't know if it is worth the trouble (and time) of looking into each of them separately. I may try some things, if it works, great, otherwise, hey this is just my hobby ;)
26th of April of 2008, 20:11 (UTC)
Hear hear. Always across the bias it will be more finicky. You mentioned wanted the next to be two layers, and the added stability may render that moot anyway.

And in the meantime, you have still a smashing looking corset to show off! ;-)
26th of April of 2008, 20:35 (UTC)
:)
This page was loaded Feb 23rd 2017, 23:05 GMT.